Saturday, November 28, 2009

I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

Is it safe to use human shampoo and conditioner? He usually goes to the groomers for a wash and cut, however money is tight right now. I'm not gonna cut his hair but he is dirty and needs a bath.



I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

You can probably find a cheap dog shampoo at the dollar store or the discount isle at petsmart/co -- otherwise you can make dog shampoo by mixing



12 oz ivory liquid dish soap



2 oz liquid glycerin (if you have some.. or from riteaid)



2 oz white vinegar



And a gallon of water mixed together.



It is a myth that there is a considerable pH difference between the skin of a dog and that of a human -- this myth allows the dog shampoo companies to make big bucks! You can use human shampoo on your dog - but remember that anything on his coat he could ingest - even in small quantities (so rinse VERY well, 5 or 6 times) - and that anything too harsh for your hair is too harsh for his. It's the conditioner with the different pH!



It's a common myth that you cant use human shampoos - http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-gr...



http://forum.dog.com/discus/messages/893...



As long as you are not planning on showing your dog your personal blow dryer wont damage the hair if its used on a low setting



I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

Don't use human shampoo especially on a breed such as this that is suseptible to skin irritations as it is the wrong pH.



Buy a product designed for dogs and if you would like to use a conditioner then best to buy one for dogs that is a leave in conditioner!



I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

you can use human shampoo is its not a harsh one but make sure you use conditioner because human shampoo will dry his hair out. i have used a hair dryer on low and low heat to dry a pomeranian before, but don't dry it allof the way just to where it's not soaking wet keep him warm and in a towel if you can so he don't get cold.



I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

mild dish washing soap would be better. when we run out of doggie shampoo, we use ivory or dawn. and if you blow dry him, use the "cool" setting so he doesn't overheat.



I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

Dog shampoo and conditioner only. Human shampoo and conditioner could cause him skin problems that in the long run could cost you more than just getting some dog shampoo and conditioner. You may want to give his hair a trim, unless you are willing to brush him every day. The last thing you need is mats in his hair! If it doesn't look pretty, oh well, he will live and the hair will grow out. Mats really hurt a dog, when the hair gets knotted up it pulls on the skin, no fun! Also before you bathe him make sure to comb him out and that he doesn't already have mats, water can make the mats tighter and hurt even worse!



I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

I am a professional dog groomer and I have seen plenty of dogs bathed in Johnson's baby shampoo and have no problems what-so-ever. We don't provide human shampoo for our clients, but we have a few customers who bring in the Johnson's and want their dog bathed with it. We do as they ask and the dogs skin is fine. You could safely use it every 2-3 weeks and should not have a problem. I don't want to say that and your dog have a reaction of some sort, but I can say from 15 years experience- I've never seen a bad reaction to the baby shampoo. As far as blow drying- I would use the blow dryer on the lowest heat setting after drying her as much as possible with towels. Even on the lowest setting, be sure not to hold the dryer in one spot too long, move it around alot. Oh, BTW- do use conditioner. It really helps with the knots. Again, no harm in using human. Just be sure it is something gentle, like what you would use for a baby.



I want to give my Lhasa a bath, then use a blow dryer to dry him?

I got a Lhasa puppy recently and the breeder (shes been breeding Lhasa for 30 years) actually told me to use human shampoo and conditioner on the puppy. She said Lhasa's hair is PH balanced more like people hair than dog hair and they have good luck with V05 and Pantene ProV. She said they havent had very good luck with Suave. Also should probably avoid baby shampoo as shampoos that are 'no tears' formulas are PH balanced to not irritate eyes and not the correct PH balance for hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
adware remover